The Laboratory Director is responsible for the overall operation and administration of the laboratory services throughout the project locations. His/her primary responsibility includes planning, organizing and directing the overall operation of the Laboratory Department.
Job Activities includes performance of chemical, microscopic and bacteriologic tests performed in the laboratory to obtain data for use in diagnosis and treatment of diseases. Ensure that services are of the best quality, are cost contained and are carried out in an expeditious manner. Additional responsibilities include recognizing results or problems that require referral to the Pathologist, assuring competency of all personnel, formulating the budget for the department, maintaining performance improvement activities within the department and running quality improvement programs and maintaining efficient and effective departmental operations in compliance with all state, federal, and local regulatory laws, standards and protocols in the respective countries including licensing, permit etc.
Role and Responsibilities
1. Participates in the recruitment and selection process for Lab employees.
2. Performs clinical supervision of employees, including regular performance appraisals and feedback to staff.
3. Provides supervision of clinical scheduling, call and leave for medical employees.
4. Provides supervision of continuing professional education, in-service training and orientation of new medical staff.
5. Ensures integration of medical services into company’s overall comprehensive services.
6. Actively participate in purchase of lab equipment; and other services.
7. Leads planning for the development of new clinical programs.
8. Provides counsel in personnel matters relating to the clinical staff.
9. Performs or delegates responsibility for quarterly medical record reviews for all medical staff focusing on quality of care and appropriate coding
1. Work with central team on planning, organizing and directing laboratory operations and ensuring compliance with all
local, state and federal regulations.
2. Responsible for the fiscal operation of the department
3. Development and constant review of Standard Operating Procedures of various lab functions across locations.
4. Keeps abreast of the healthcare and medical regulations and advises management team on necessary changes.
5. Provides clinical guidance and regularly reports on clinical activities to the management.
6. Reviews necessary clinical and patient care contracts for services provided to or by the organization
7. Performs periodic review of practice management functions.
8. Serves as a liaison between lab services and administration.
9. Represents the organization at local medical societies, hospitals, professional organizations, groups and agencies as and when required.
10. Participates, in conjunction with the management team, in the overall budget planning and monitoring process; reviews the formulation and evaluation of project goals and budgets.
1. Review and judge effectiveness of LAB operation, utilization of employees and supplies, and general ethical and professional atmosphere is maintained.
2. Oversee work schedules for lab. Technicians on a daily basis to ensure proper coverage.
3. Oversee Organizing the leaves and vacations to ensure an enduring lab coverage.
4. Direct location lab supervisors to ensure proper guidance to lab technicians in their daily tasks and monitoring their performance on a regular basis.
5. Annual personnel performance evaluation
6. Validating the daily quality control
7. Following up lab instruments’ maintenance to ensure persistent readiness.
8. Coordinating lab tests’ referral and checking their bills.
9. Supervising requested lab tests making sure that all requested tests were performed.
10. Finally validating all lab reports. Double Check the lab results when ready, until we make sure of all systems competency. (Verifying the accuracy of tests)
11. Collaborate with physicians to discuss patients’ results when needed.
12. Oversee and Supervising lab supplies making sure that they have considerable expiry date that allows their consumption before expiry, and signing upon their bills.
13. Prepare the Guidelines for each laboratory test (When needed) and make sure patient will have those instruction in written before giving the sample.
14. Establish new operation standards for cost containment, quality, safety, and complete on-time delivery
Metrics & Organization Management:
▪ Monitoring the Turnaround time
▪ Customer satisfaction from our lab services
▪ Team satisfaction
▪ Timely and accurate reports
OM & Reporting:
Reports to the Director –Operations / COO
Qualifications, Experience and Education Requirements:
1- Profession practice permission issued from MOH/healthcare authority in the country
2- Lab directing permission issued from MOH.
Planning, organizing, leadership and controlling skills
Good communication skills
Good in managing conflicting priorities
Medical equipment and supplies selection exposure
Management by walking around
Quality management skills
Operational management and good communication with operation managers
Managing budgets skills